Are you aspiring to choose teaching as a career and get a professional degree related to it? Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCR) is a course that teaches all classroom teaching skills. Moreover, the University of South Africa offers this course to train the youth as teachers for the future.
The postgraduate degrees at UNISA are designed to give students great expertise in their related fields. You can get a teaching degree in your subject and learn to become a teacher in South African schools. So, here is how to apply for PGCE at UNISA.
The University of South Africa (UNISA) is a prestigious institution for higher education and postgraduate degrees. Similarly, it offers potential students an opportunity to perfect their undergrad subject and become an expert by doing a PGCE. Afterward, they can easily get a teaching job in any South African learning institute.
Eligibility Criteria for PGCE at UNISA
Knowing about the requirements or eligibility criteria for PGCE at UNISA is necessary to understand the application process easier. This academic program requires a certain level of education beforehand as it is a postgraduate Certificate. So, the following are requirements that must be met for the PGCE.
- You must have a senior certificate with an exemption.
- You must have an accredited bachelor’s degree or national diploma. You must complete this degree with a certain number of credit hours set by the university, which is 360 or 480 credit hours.
- Course in English Language, linguistics, African language or Afrikaans, and African literature.
- Computer literacy course up to the first level.
Before initiating the application process, you must compile the necessary documents that need to be submitted during the application. For a postgraduate degree, it is mandatory to have some past degrees and knowledge. So, here’s a list of all the documents you should prepare to get the upper hand on other applicants during the application process.
- A certified copy of your Identity Document to prove your name.
- Proof of your residency.
- Proof of your degree, like a certificate.
- Non-native English-speaking individuals must submit an English proficiency document.
- Criminal record check proof.
- A CV with your academic and career accomplishments and experiences.
- A written document explaining your passion for teaching and the reason why you want to do PGCE.
The application process is easy, and anyone with an internet supply can easily do it. However, if you are finding it difficult, follow the following instructions step-by-step;
- First, visit the UNISA official website www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corporate/default/.
- Next, navigate to the application toolbar and click ‘Apply for Admission.’
- Then, select the Honors degrees and postgraduate diplomas option from the list of options.
- Now, click on any option from ‘first-time UNISA applicants or returning students.’
- Then, enter the qualification you are applying for in the given box. For instance, you can type PGCE with a specialty.
- You will have instructions on every step from here, so complete the form, enter the necessary information, and upload the documents.
- Lastly, click on the ‘submit application’ button. It might take several weeks for UNISA to process your application.
How Much Time Does it Take to Complete PGCE at UNISA?
It takes from 1 to 3 years to complete PGCE degrees. You can complete it early if you are a full-time student and take more subjects per semester. Comparatively, a part-time student can complete it in a longer period.
An academic year in PGCE consists of mid-semester exams, scheduled breaks and registration periods, etc. There are three phases of the PGCE specialty.
- PGCE Primary: for teaching primary school children.
- PGCE Secondary: for teaching high school students.
- PGCE Further/adult Education: for teaching higher education or tertiary education students.
How Much is PGCE at UNISA?
Before registration, students have to pay a small amount of money during the application process. Furthermore, this R115 will be completely non-refundable. It will not be given back to students if they are not accepted at UNISA or do not want to proceed with the application process anymore.
Additionally, students must pay for the rest of the degree. The total amount of fee that an individual has to pay to study PGCE at UNISA is R22,000 for the academic period. So, consider the eligibility, requirements, and fee before applying for PGCE at UNISA.
Does UNISA still offer PGCE 2023?
Yes, UNISA will offer PGCE courses in 2023. Specifically, Postgraduate Certificate in Education in the senior phase and further education and training teaching agriculture and other life sciences.
In short, you can do PGCE courses from the distance learning institution UNISA to specialize your teaching skills in your undergraduate subject. Moreover, you can apply easily through the online portal by following the above instructions. It costs around R22,000 to study PGCE at UNISA.