The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) offers funds to students who are financially lacking and are unable to afford or pursue their education. However, certain limitations are associated with NSFAS funding regarding colleges and certain educational programs and courses.
They only support 26 universities and 50 TVET colleges throughout South Africa and fund those students who pursue certain courses. What are these courses? Read this article to find out what kind of courses or qualifications NSFAS funds.
Does NSFAS Fund Higher Certificates?
Higher certificates are skill-oriented or vocational qualifications that allow students to learn practical skills in particular fields or subjects. It’s a qualification that falls within the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) level 5 and is acquired within one year.
The higher Certificate course is a one-year full-time study program that includes practical training, theoretical courses, and skills development. These courses prepare you for your future by offering you the essential skills and knowledge related to your selected field, enhancing your employment opportunities.
Does NSFAS fund higher certificate programs? Yes, they do. If you plan to study for a Higher Certificate qualification and require financial assistance, you can apply for an NSFAS bursary. However, you must meet all their requirements to receive the funds.
Furthermore, most qualifications or programs offered by selected public universities and TVET colleges are supported or approved by the NSFAS. However, these qualifications must be officially accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and should be registered on National Qualification Framework (NQF).
NSFAS Funding Requirements For Higher Certificate Qualification
As I said above, you must meet NSFAS criteria to qualify for the bursary. So what are these requirements? Let’s look at the different eligibility criteria one by one.
- You must be a citizen of South Africa.
- To be eligible for the fund, you must have already registered at the university or applied for it. However, only those universities and TVET colleges that NSFAS funds.
- Your annual household income must not exceed R350,000.
- Must be planning to study at NSFAS-funded public universities and TVET colleges.
- You are eligible if you are enrolled in the qualifications, courses, or programs that NSFAS supports.
Therefore, before applying, ensure that you meet certain requirements set by NSFAS to receive the allowance to continue pursuing your education. In addition, when enrolling in any qualifications or courses, check that NSFAS funds them.
What Will NSFAS Funds Cover?
The NSFAS organization will cover your following expenses if you plan to study Higher Certificate Courses or programs.
- They cover the cost of tuition fees for higher certificate courses.
- Also, include accommodation fees.
- Moreover, it also covers your book expenses based on the number of registered modules.
- For disabled people, meal expenses are also covered.
- Transport (both TVET and university students).
- Personal care (R2900 per year).
NSFAS Funding Amount For Higher Certificate Qualification?
National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) will offer R600 per module to deserving students for the starting four modules and a one-time allowance of R5 200 for registering in five to ten modules.
Which Courses Are Covered By NSFAS?
NSFAS covers most of the courses offered by the selected universities and TVET colleges, but certain exceptions exist. First, let me tell you about courses or qualifications supported by NSFAS.
- Undergraduate courses (Human Resources, Language, Marketing, Office Administration, Music, Public Administration, Education, Social Sciences, Higher Education and Training, Cultural Studies, Environmental Science, and more)
- Online courses
- Full-time courses
- Programs or courses offered by public universities and TVET colleges supported by NSFAS
Which Courses Does NSFAS Not Support?
The following are the courses that NSFAS does not funds; therefore, if you do not want to receive NSFAS funds, you can enroll in these courses.
- Short courses
- Part-time programs
- Postgraduate programs
- Courses offered by private universities or colleges
- Second degrees
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone Number: 08000 67327
To summarize, National Students Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) does support students pursuing Higher Certificate qualifications. NSFAS funds almost all courses or programs offered by selected universities and TVET colleges, but there are a few exceptions.
Furthermore, if you want to apply for the courses funded by NSFAS, you must meet certain requirements to be considered eligible by them. In addition, you must keep yourself updated regarding any new information related to NSFAS funding criteria so that you won’t face any problems in the future.