If you have ever dreamt of teaching at the University Of South Africa, you must be looking for the requirement of the university and the ways to enroll there as a lecturer. Undoubtedly the university is one of the top universities in the world and it doesn’t compromise over its faculty’s education and skills.
So if you want to be a lecturer at UNISA, read the guide below and understand how to become a lecturer at UNISA, what qualifications you will need, and what skills you should have to get enrolled as a lecturer at the University of South Africa.
Duties of Lecturer
There are several responsibilities of a lecturer that he has to fulfill if he gets enrolled as a lecturer at the University of South Africa. Following is the list of responsibilities that you have to fulfill as a lecturer at UNISA.
- You need to develop the teaching material and have to be prepared for the sessions you have to deliver.
- You have to also help students as a personal tutor to provide them with the maximum of the knowledge they need.
- You have to arrange seminars, deliver lectures, provide practical demonstrations, and perform fieldwork to help your students.
- You have to access and check the work done by the students.
- You have to supervise your students’ research.
- As a lecturer, you have to make sure that you are taking part in staff training and attending professional conferences and seminars.
- You also have to manage the research budgets as a lecturer at UNISA.
- You have to prepare and grade the exams and the written work of the students.
- You have to carry out administrative tasks including the student admission.
Skills Lecturer Should Have
To be a successful lecturer at the University of South Africa there are certain basic important skills that you should have. This includes,
- Communication skills ( verbal and written)
One of the most required skills to be a successful lecturer at the University of South Africa is having great communication skills. You need to make sure that you can convey your message most understandably. Your communication skills should be better and should be convincing.
Make sure both your written and verbal communication skills are excellent. This helps you to convey your message so that the students can get a better education at the university.
If you are very passionate about being a lecturer at the University of South Africa, you have to make sure that the subject you choose to teach at UNISA is the one that you love the most. This makes your lectures interesting and more understandable. You would love to teach your favorite subject.
Moreover, being passionate about what you’re teaching to your students helps in increasing engagement between teachers and students. This also enhances the respect of students for the teacher. And makes it possible for the student to learn in a better way.
Patience is another important skill that lecturers should have. This is because employees in an educational environment need a lot of understanding and patience. You should have a lot of patience because you will come in contact with different types of students with different levels of abilities.
What Qualification Will You Need?
There are certain qualifications that you must have before applying for a lecturer at the University of South Africa. You have to make sure that you have these degrees so that your application gets accepted and does not get rejected in any way.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Post Graduate Degree
You should have a bachelor’s degree with you if you want to be a lecturer at UNISA. And You have to make sure that the bachelor’s degree is in the relevant subject that you are going to study at the university. Moreover, as a bachelor student, you can study any of the majors like general subjects or education.
Make sure you are selecting the field that you love and that you feel happy to study. It should be comfortable for you and should be easier for you to give you more success in the long run. Keep in mind your success in this profession starts right from the selection of your bachelor’s degree program.
Post Graduate Degree
You cannot get a lecturing job at the University Of South Africa only with a bachelor’s degree. So you need to make sure that after passing out from your bachelor’s program you get enrolled in getting the post-graduate degree. It will help you in becoming an expert in your field.
You should have to make sure that you have at least a master’s degree in the subject you want to teach or you have a degree in education. Moreover, you also need to have a Ph.D. degree as well to get enrolled at UNISA. This maximizes your chance of hiring.
Career Progression As A lecturer
There are different levels of your profession as a lecturer. At the very start of your lectureship, you would be an entry-level lecturer.
- The entry-level lecturer has a master’s degree and has started teaching but still is pursuing his Ph.D.
- Then comes the lecturer. This level of your profession as a lecturer is when your class size increases and your Ph.D. is complete.
- Then comes the senior lecturer. At this level not only will your experience grow but also your responsibilities. There are high chances that at this level of your profession, you need to give education to students who are not your students meaning you would be giving education to other students in addition to your students and at other universities too.
- Then is a professor’s level. Being a professor is the highest level of this profession. As a professor, you have your PhD degree with you and you have lots of experience as a teacher. You become a professional lecturer with many years of teaching, producing research, publishing findings, and lots of experience in your field.
Universities Where You Can Study To Get The Required Degree
Following is the list of universities from where you can study to get enrolled as a lecturer at UNISA.
- University of South Africa
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Johannesburg
- Stellenbosch University
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- University of Witwatersrand
- Tshwane University Of Technology
- University of Cape Town
Is the lecturer the same as the secondary teacher?
No, both the lecturer and secondary teacher are not the same. A lecturer is a post-secondary teacher in some university or college and he gives education to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Alternatively, it’s not always necessary for the secondary teacher to have a Masters’s or PhD degree to start teaching.
What do you have to do to become a university lecturer in South Africa?
In order to become a university lecturer in South Africa you need to fulfill certain requirements. You should have a certain level of qualification to apply for becoming a University lecturer in South Africa. You should have a bachelor’s degree or postgraduate degree and should have experience in publications and internships too.
What skills you should have to become a university teacher in South Africa?
You should have certain important skills to become a university teacher in South Africa. This mainly includes good communication skills. You have to make sure that you have very well-written and verbal skills too so that you can convey your message to the students in the most understanding way.
This above mention article tells you about how to become a lecturer at the University of South Africa. You should have certain specified qualifications to get enrolled as a lecturer at the University of South Africa. Moreover, there are certain specific skills that you should have like verbal skills and communication skills so that you can convey your message in a well, more understandable way.
Furthermore, if you are looking for a guide to becoming a lecturer at the University of South Africa, these above-mentioned details would be enough for you. It provides you with the relevant knowledge of what you need to know and what skills you should have before applying for a lecturer job at UNISA. Make sure to put all of your attention to this so you know what steps you have to take and what skills you should have to start a lectureship at the University of South Africa.