SASSA (South African social security Agency) is providing financial assistance to old citizens of South Africa who are unable to earn a good living. If you live in South Africa and you’re in need of financial help, this government program helps you in this regard. As of today around 46% of South Africans are getting a grant for old age from SASSA.
If you or someone you know is in search of how to apply for a SASSA grant for old age and wants to know about the other details related to the old age grant, this article will provide you with all the relevant information. The grant is made mainly for people who are above 60 years of age and due to some valid reason are not stable financially. Let’s look at the details below so you know what you have to do if you are looking for a grant for old age.
Grant For Old Age
The guide tells you about the grant for old age, what is its eligibility criteria, what are the necessary documents that you have to submit with the application form, and how to apply via both online procedure and in person. Here we will first focus on what is the eligibility criteria and then will look at other details so you know whether you are eligible to take part in this SASSA old age grant program or not.
Following is the list of requirements that you must have to fulfill before applying for an old age grant from SASSA. You have to make sure of them before applying. The eligibility criteria for getting the grant is as follows:
- You should have a valid reason for getting the grant.
- You should be a South African citizen or if not then you should be a permanent resident or a refugee in South Africa.
- If you are willing to apply for an old age grant then you have to make sure that you are not living in any other country apart from South Africa.
- You have to make sure that you are not receiving any type of help or benefits from other social institutions.
- Your application will be rejected if the applicant is taking help or care from some other state institution like an old age home, rehabilitation center, or prison.
- To get the grant you must be above the age of 60.
- Keep in mind the grant is only for those who fulfill the requirements of the means test.
A means test is a test done to check the assets and income of the applicants. Let’s look at the mean test details for old-age grants.
The means test is a method used to check the income and assets of an applicant. It is done to check whether the applicant is eligible to get the grant and whether he is truly in need of financial assistance or not.
Before applying for a grant for old age from SASSA make sure to fulfill all of these requirements so your application does not get rejected in any way. Let us now start with what is the procedure for applying for a grant.
SASSA Pension Online Application Process
If you think that you are eligible to get the SASSA older person’s grant, you have two choices for applying. You can either apply by visiting the SASSA office that is located in your area or can also apply online. You have both of these options because in case you cannot visit the SASSA office on your own either because of being disabled, old, or sick, you can apply online.
On the other hand, if you want to apply in person and cannot visit on your own, you can also send your friend or a family member on behalf of you with your power of attorney. The person would be your procurator and can help you in applying for getting the grant. He or she can also receive the grant on your behalf. Let’s look at both of the application procedures in the details below.
- Applying online via the Website
- Applying in person by visiting SASSA offices
If you are willing to apply online to get the grant for old age, you simply have to visit their official website. Here is the step-by-step procedure to apply for an old age grant online easily.
- Click on the official website of SASSA by clicking on sassa.gov.za/Pages/Older-Persons-Grant.aspx.
- Now look at the bar that says “grants”.
- Click on that bar.
- A list will open that tells you about the grants offered by SASSA.
- Now click on “old age grant” from the list.
- Before that, you have to make sure that you have registered your account at SASSA.
- Now click on “Apply now”.
- Wait and a page will open in front of you that is an application form.
- Fill out the application form correctly and make sure you are not missing anything important.
- Also make sure you are not putting any wrong information in any of the columns, as this can lead you towards the declining of your application.
- Now attach all the required documents with your application.
- And click on “submit”.
- Wait until you get a response from SASSA.
Apply By Visiting Official Offices
This is the second method that is for those who don’t want to apply online for getting the grant. You can apply for this grant by visiting the official offices of SASS. In case you cannot visit you also have the option of sending your friend or family member with power of attorney.
- Search for the official SASSA office near you.
- Visit the office and ask the sitting person to help you with applying for an old age grant.
- Now fill out the application form on the spot.
- You can take help from the sitting officer, if you think there is a need or if you do not understand anything.
- Now attach all the required documents and submit the form by handing it over to the sitting officer.
- Wait until you get the response from SASSA.
Documents You Need To Submit With Application
Following is the list of documents that you must provide with your application. Make sure the documents you are providing are all original or certified copies. Always make sure there is no fake document otherwise your grant will be declined and you may get punished by the government of South Africa.
- The documents that you have to carry with you include ID documents. If you do not have your ID documents with you, you can also submit an affidavit to confirm your personal information.
- You should provide a 13-digit refugee ID if you are a refugee in South Africa.
- You should provide proof of your residence.
- You should provide proof of income and assets including your property value (if it is applicable).
- You also have to provide proof of your private pension, if you get any.
- You have to attach the three months bank statement with your application form.
- Make sure to provide proof of your marital status. If you are married you have to provide proof of marriage via a marriage certificate.
- And if you are divorced then you have to attach the divorce order with your application form and in case your spouse is no more alive, you have to provide the certificate of their death.
- You also have to provide an unemployment insurance fund, if you are employed before or the discharge certificate, if you have.
Outcome Of the Grant Application
You will get to know about the application you have submitted for an old person’s grant after 3 months. This is because SASSA officials take around 3 months to access and enquire about the applicant. You will be informed in writing and will be informed whether your application is rejected or approved.
If your application gets accepted you will get the grant via the method you have selected. Those applicants whose grant application has been approved will get the payment within no more than three months of applying. On the other hand, if your request gets rejected you have the option of appealing to the Minister of Social Development.
How To Receive The Grant?
You have three options for receiving the payment if your grant application is approved. You will receive your payment on the exact date on which you have applied. Select from the given three options depending on your choice and preference.
- You can get the payment directly into your bank account.
- You can collect the payment in cash from the approved pay points of SASSA.
- You can also get your payment from specific institutions.
In case you want to get the payment in your bank account you have to complete the consent form and have to provide proof of your identity whether through an id document, driver’s license, or birth certificate, and the proof of your bank account. Make sure the bank account you are using for receiving the grant from SASSA is registered in your name.
You also have to provide a three-month bank statement that tells about the personal details including your name and bank account number. Furthermore, you also have the option of changing your payment method in case you want to.
You can do this by visiting the welfare office. Additionally, you can also nominate someone else to collect your grant payment for you in case you are unable to collect on your own because of being too, old, disabled, or too sick.
For further inquiries, questions, and problems, you can contact SASSA directly:
- Contact the SASSA Toll-Free Call center at 0800 60 10 11
- Contact the SASSA Head Office on 012 400 2322
- Email SASSA Head Office at: [email protected]
- Contact details of SASSA offices across the country: SASSA offices
What are the common reasons for grant suspension?
Grant suspension generally occurs due to numerous causes but some of them are mentioned here. One of the most common reasons is a change in the circumstances and providing incorrect or false information in the application. Moreover, if you have not cooperated with the officials of SASSA when the grant is reviewed, and if the grant was approved mistakenly there are chances that the officials can suspend your grant.
Can you apply again after the grant suspension?
Yes, you have the option of applying again after the grant suspension. You can apply within 90 days of receiving the suspension letter. The first thing that you have to consider before applying for grant restoration is the reason why your grant was suspended.
What are the causes of older persons’ grant lapse?
5 major causes of lapse in older person grants include the death of the grant holder or the admission of a grant holder into a state-funded institution. Your grant can also lapse if you have not received it for 3 months. Similarly, if you no longer meet the means test limits and your assets and income increase above the required threshold limit then your grant can also lapse.
This above-mentioned article tells you about the detailed information for grants for old age that is offered by SASSA. Read the details with all of your concentration and attention so you know what you have to do in case you are looking for the correct procedure for applying for an old age grant.
Hopefully, you have gone through everything and have understood everything mentioned above. Do not miss any important points. This guide will help you in case you or someone you know is looking to take help from the SASSA officials to get financial assistance in their old age to live a good life.